What ever happened to the NME?

I'm committing myself to write a blog post every day for the next 100 days.

No matter how long, or how short, something will be posted. Whether anyone reads it, that's another matter.

Today I picked up a copy of NME, it was sitting next to a stack of Time Outs.

What an age we live in now.

Newspapers and magazines, which once payment was demanded for, now they can't give them away.

NME holds so many fond memories for me, from the age of 15 I purchased it weekly, pouring over the pages, deciding which crappy band I would travel up to Camden to watch while drinking, over-priced watered-down beer.

Every now and again there would be a CD stuck to the front - these were the bands you could brag to your friends that  you "only liked their early stuff".

I picked a copy. It was printed on cheap paper. It was the wrong size. It was the wrong everything.

They was a review for the Justin Bieber album, and a page devoted to what people are wearing in Cardiff. This isn't the NME I remember, this is in-style magazine with a few guitars stuck in it.

I generally don't know much about the bands I listen to, that's probably a good thing as I've just discovered The Maccabees have members named Orlando, Felix, Hugo and Rupert.




Comments